Scroll To Top
Scroll To Top

Purebred Nubian Dairy Goats

BMR Goats are 100% CAE Free, CL Free, and G6S Normal
Our 2014 Kidding Diary begins just below the Breeding Chart
Click here to read about our 2013 Kidding Season For help on using this table click here
2014 Kidding Season
Senior Does
Due Date/
Click on the links below to read about the event!
Ariel River Rock Due March 9
Kidded March 5
Triplets: 3 bucks 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved $450
SG Marlyn SG Big Splash Due March 5
Kidded March 6
 Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks All does retained, 1 buck retained, 1 buck reserved $600
Diva Boeshane Due March 12
Kidded March 7
 Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved, 1 buck reserved $450
SG Rose Tyler Royal Gallifrey Due March 4
Kidded March 7
 Quads: 2 does, 2 bucks 1 doe retained, 2 bucks reserved $600
SG Jackie Boeshane Due March 10
Kidded March 10
 Twins: 2 does 2 does reserved $450
Alchemy Boeshane Due March 11
Kidded March 11
 Triplets: 3 does! 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved $400
Serenity SG Big Splash Due March 11
Kidded March 13
 Triplets: 3 does! 1 doe retained, 1 buck reserved $450
SG Opal Exotic Affair Due March 13
Kidded March 13
 Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe reserved, 1 buck reserved $450
Tory Boeshane Due March 12
Kidded March 13
 Twins: 2 does  1 doe reserved $450
SG Cora Exotic Affair Due March 12
Kidded March 13
 Twins: 2 does 1 doe reserved, 1 buck reserved $450
Celeste Exotic Affair Due March 12
Kidded March 14
 Quads: 3 does, 1 buck 1 doe retained $500
SG Harmony Boeshane Due March 12
Kidded March 17
 Singleton: 1 doe 1 doe retained $600
Percy Boeshane Due March 22
Kidded March 18
 Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe retained $400
Liberty River Rock Due late April
Kidded April 5
 Cloudburst   $450
SG Tally Boeshane Due April 5
Kidded April 5
 Twins: 2 does 1 doe reserved $600
SG Poppy SG Big Splash Due April 4
Kidded April 6
 Singleton: 1 doe All does retained $600
SG Brillosa Exotic Affair Due April 5
Kidded April 7
 Quads: 4 does!! 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved, 2 bucks reserved $600
SG Grace Boeshane Due late April
Kidded April 19
 Triplets: 2 does, 1 buck   $500
Thyme River Rock Due April 27
Kidded April 25
 Twins: 2 bucks   $500
SG Tarragon River Rock Due May 6-18 (penbred)
Kidded May 10
 Singleton: 1 buck  All does retained $550
Junior Does
(No registered bucklings will be sold from Junior Does)
Due Date/
Rosalee River Rock Due March 16
Kidded March 16
 Singleton: 1 doe   $350
Jubilee River Rock Due April 1
Kidded April 1
 Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck 1 doe reserved $350
Elegance Boeshane Due April 1
Kidded April 1
 Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe reserved $350
Sophie River Rock Due April 1
Kidded April 1
 Twins: 2 bucks 1 doe reserved $350
Betty Boeshane Due April 8
Kidded April 4
 Triplets: 2 does, 1 buck   $300
Reese River Rock Due April 6
Kidded April 5
 Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck  1 doe reserved $350
Carmella River Rock Due April 13
Kidded April 12
 Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck   $300
Victory Boeshane Due April 9
Kidded April 12
 Twins: 2 does 1 doe reserved $300
Audra River Rock Due April 30
Kidded April 28
 Triplets: 2 does, 1 buck   $400
Obsidian River Rock Due April 30
Kidded April 30
 Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck  1 doe reserved $300
Melody River Rock Due May 2
Kidded May 3
 Twins: 2 does   $400

Kathryn's 2014 Goat Kidding Diary

Kiddings will be listed below chronologically with the most recent first. To start at the earliest entry, click here.

2014 Final Entry

We had 31 does kid this year giving us a total of 75 kids - 45 does and 30 bucks making for an incredible doe year! Brill had quadruplet doelings, Serenity and Alchemy had triplet doelings, and Cora, Tory, Tally, Victory, and Melody had twin doelings.

We have kept 11 doelings for our own herd development and sent kids off across the nation.  We thank everyone who has shown faith in our animals and brought them into their herds or started new herds with them.  We hope you are as blessed with these animals as we have been.   We also thank Amanda and Joan for their help during this busy time.  They are fabulous, hardworking friends that we really appreciate.

Our new breeding schedule will be posted in July.  Please check it out then and put in your reservations early.  Pricing is subject to change as our animals earn production awards or other titles throughout the year.  Prices for reservations placed before the price increase will be honored. 

Thanks for reading my kidding diary.  I hope it was interesting and helpful.  I hope to see you all next kidding season!Tarragon, her son Rocket, and LGD Pierre taking it easy.

Terrific Tarragon

Tarragon/River Rock

5/10/14 Many years ago when Tarragon was kidding as a yearling, she was lying in the straw just chewing her cud one minute, then had a kid pushed out the next.  No preliminary pushing, no moaning, fretting, or theatrics before hand, just one big push that propelled the kid out.   Last year Terry did the same thing – one minute looking like nothing is happening, then a quick push and the sudden appearance of a baby.

Last evening when Terry came in for some grain I could tell that she would be kidding soon.  Her rump was very sunken and the ligaments around the tail head were hard to detect, her milk was in, and she had just a touch of discharge from her vulva.  So David and I both kept a sharp eye on her.  At 1 AM I checked and she was sleeping in one of the small auxiliary sheds.  David’s 2 AM check found her still there but standing up.  At 3:30 I went out and discovered that she wasn’t there anymore.  I found her in the doe barn, pawing a nest.

I put some clean water and some feed into a kidding pen, then moved Terry in.  She was in the “pawing and smelling everything” stage.  She sniffed the straw, the water bucket, me – just about everything.  Then she pawed a bit here and there.  I sat out with her until 4 AM then went back to bed, but I checked the barn camera monitor often to see if she was getting serious.  She mostly just lay in the straw, chewing her cud or napping.

At 5 AM I heard “The Push”.  I saw on the barn camera monitor that she had a kid born.  I jumped into my clothes and headed out.  The 9.1# buckling was lying in a puddle of goo behind Terry. Terry was still laying down – probably wondering what had disturbed her nap.  I moved the kid over for Terry to lick on.  David showed up and helped Terry clean up her lovely boy.  I had done an ultrasound on Terry back in February and only saw a single kid.  But since I’m still learning how to spot the kids on the ultrasound, I wasn’t willing to bet that there really was only one.   Terry, however, seemed to be done.

I got Terry her warm molasses water and she guzzled all gallon and a half of the brew.  I went back and got her a second round of it.  She really appreciated it.  I guess she had been working a lot harder than she let on.  What a wonderful, easy going girl. 

Terry passed her placenta, which signaled that she really did only have the one boy.  Typical for Terry, this 9.1# boy is the largest kid born this year, beating out Tyler’s 9.0# buckling.  In Tyler's defense though – Tyler did have three other kids in addition to her big boy, for a total of almost 30# of babies.

I’m sad that I didn’t get a doeling or two from Terry to keep in our herd this year.  But she looks so great and did so well that I figure the old girl can try again next year.

Melody Makes Music

Melody/River Rock

5/3/14 Our kid creep area is a place where the kids hang out, get fed, have a play area, and a neat “fort” made with straw bale sides and a plywood roof.  The kids also have a kid-sized gate between the creep and the doe pen so that they can go out and visit the does or hang out in their own special space.  Well, since it is too warm to hang out in the doe barn kidding pen I threw the kids out into the doe pen and let Melody into the creep area since she was getting close to kidding.  Mel decided that the small kid fort was a great place to have her babies.

She went under the plywood, laid down, and in short order went into hard labor.  I let David know that Mel had pushed out a kid bubble, and then got set up to catch a kid.  I only expected one since Mel didn’t look very big.  I thought that would be a good thing since the thought of crawling under the low plywood to fetch kids was more than my poor, old, back and shoulders wanted to do.

I couldn’t see Mel’s rear end since she was laying with her butt up against the concrete wall at the rear of the fort.  So when I thought that she had pushed enough to have some kid parts showing I crawled in with her.  She had two feet and a nose showing and with a few more pushes out came a 5.7# brown doeling with a white splash.  Getting the girl out of the fort and over to David to clean up was simple – as long as I didn’t mind getting covered in goo as I passed the kid over.

David cleaned the doeling up while I stayed with Mel.  To my surprise she started pushing hard again.  In very short order she had another doeling on the ground.  This one weighed 4.9#, came in nose and toes positon, and she is brown with splashes of white and covered in (yes, Sandy) polka dot spots.

Melody decided that she wanted to lick on her babies more than she wanted to hide in the fort, so she crawled out on her knees to see her kids.  I got her backside cleaned up and I milked her out.  She made enough nice looking colostrum to get her girls fed.  Mel is a first time momma and we welcome her to our milking string.

Obsidian Rocks

Obsidian/River Rock

4/30/14 Last night Obsidian's (nicknamed "Dion") milk had come in and her tail head ligaments were barely detectable.  I suspected that she wouldn’t kid until mid-day today, but we went on “kid watch” anyway – checking her every hour to see if she was getting serious about downloading.

This morning Dion separated herself from the herd and just looked unhappy.  I moved her into one of the kid creep pens that has a camera and sound monitor.  The evicted kids weren’t happy about losing their “club house” but managed to survive anyway.  This pen has an outdoor run, lots of room, and is right next to where Dion’s friends were hanging out.  I thought she would be happier there than stuck in the barn kidding pen by herself.

But Dion didn’t kid.  She squirmed, pawed just a little, started to string mucus, and continued to look unhappy.  After evening milking I put her in a regular kidding pen so that the evicted kids could have their home back.  That made the kids happy.  Dion settled in pretty well.

Around 8:30 PM Obsidian started into hard labor.  Very quickly a hoof appeared.   Soon an adorable black 7.7# buckling with white spots was born.  He came with one hoof first, then the nose, then the second hoof behind that.  Not exactly a perfect position but not bad.  Yearling Dion was very cool about the whole thing but just a bit confused.  As David worked to clean up this stunning boy, Obsidian got the idea and started helping out.

Once he was dry, Dion pushed some more and out came a 6.1# black spotted doeling in nose and toes position and still totally contained in the birth sack.  This is called en-caul in humans and in medieval times was thought to indicate good luck and that the child is destined for greatness. 

Both kids and mom are doing great.  Dion is a very lovely doe and her udder looks marvelous.  We are very excited to have her working here at Black Mesa Ranch.

Audra Becomes a Milker

Audra/River Rock

4/28/14 This morning when I checked the close-up girls I knew that Audra was getting ready.  I thought that by late afternoon she would be a mom.  Well, I was just a bit off on my estimate.  It was 9PM when Audra went into hard labor.  Along with a clear kid bubble, Audra also pushed out an afterbirth bubble and a bit of placenta.  That was not a good sign.

I cleaned Audra’s vulva area up, gloved up, lubed up, and checked it out.  I felt a tiny little head in the birth canal.  Reaching in a bit further I found two tiny legs.  They were in the birth canal but were above the head.  Finally I realized that the kid was upside down.  Due to the kid’s small size, the placenta, and the weird position, I was pretty sure the kid was dead.  I rotated it in to a good position and helped pull it out.  The head and front legs came fairly easily, but the back end seem tight.  As it slid out I saw that the back legs where drawn up tight along the kid's body with the tail coming out last, thus making double the work to push out.  As suspected the tiny doeling was dead.

I quickly went back in to pull the next kid, hoping for a better result.  I felt nose and toes, and they seemed to be a much better size.  Out came a lovely 5.4# red buckling with smoky brown accents.  He was alive and rearing to go.

I had predicted triplets, so as soon as David had the boy’s mouth and nose clear, I went back to find the next kid.  I found a head and legs, and with a mighty push by Audra, the 5.2# doeling came flying out.  She is red roan with smoky black roan accents, polka dot spots, and big bold belly band, a very unusual and striking look.

By this time Audra was passing a placenta, which I think is why the first kid was dead – the placenta detached too early.  We are thrilled that her other two kids are so feisty and healthy, beautiful, too.  Audra stood to be milked for the first time in her life.  She milked out easily and made a good amount of colostrum to feed her kids.

It's About Thyme

Thyme/River Rock

4/25/14 This evening when I was lead feeding the does that are close to kidding, I checked them over well to see if we would have kids soon.  Even though Thyme’s milk was starting to come in and her rump ligaments were getting soft, I didn’t think she had done enough homework yet.  I again checked on the close-up does around 10 PM, just after feeding the kids their dinner.  I found Thyme off by herself and she was stringing mucus. 

I moved her into a kidding pen and sat with her.  After about 10 minutes she laid down and started into hard labor.  David came out and set up for cleaning the kids.  Quite soon two hooves and a nose appeared.  Thyme easily pushed out a 7.9# black buckling with black ears and lots of spots.  David cleaned the fella up.

As soon as the first born was clean, Thyme once again pushed out a buckling in nose and toes position.  This 7.5# fella is brown with frosted ears and lots of spots.  Both boys were active and standing up within minutes of birth.

I bounced Thyme’s belly and couldn’t tell if she was done.  I thought she should be carrying triplets.  So we waited awhile.  Thyme snacked on some hay and pawed at the ground, she drank her molasses water, laid down, stood up, laid down again.  Finally, I decided to check inside of Thyme to be sure that she was done.  David held her steady, I cleaned up, lubed up, and reached into her uterus.  No one else was home. 

Thyme and her sons are doing great.  It will be wonderful to have Thyme back on the milking string.

Gambling With Grace

Grace/Boeshane(confirmed by DNA testing)

4/19/14 Grace is our herd clown.  If anything is planned, Grace will find a fun and interesting way to thwart it.  It’s just her way.  So, 6 days before our clean-up buck was scheduled to be put into the doe pen to catch any does that weren’t bred, Grace came into heat.  I really wanted her bred to Boeshane so I went ahead and let him breed her.  Since Grace had recycled several times earlier, I expected the same thing to happen this time.  But in true Grace style, she caught – either on that breeding to Boeshane or 6 days later when the clean-up buck, River Rock, came to live with the girls. Yup, we lost that bet! Sigh. DNA testing will now have to be carried out…Thanks Grace. 

Grace’s milk started coming in yesterday and today her rump was softening.  Neither David nor I expected her to kid today since we hadn’t seen any preliminary pre-labor positioning.  However, she found a quiet spot and dug a nest.  Around 10 AM I decided that she probably knew better than I, so I put her in a kidding pen and kept an eye on her.

At noon, I saw on the Goat Cam Monitor that Grace’s water had broken.  No fussing, no theatrics, just lots of goo.    David and I headed out to catch the kids.   There was a lot of meconium in the amniotic fluid on the ground, so I cleaned up Grace and myself, put on nitrile gloves,  lubricated them well, then did a 2 finger check.  I felt a head with no legs.  I reached in further, found a leg and pulled it forward.  Soon a splashy brown 7.3# buckling was born.  Grace couldn’t wait to clean him up, she was licking the air and baby talking before David even had the boy’s mouth and nose cleared of slime. 

After licking on her boy for 10 minutes or so, Grace started back into hard labor.  One foot emerged.  I checked and didn’t feel any other parts right at the exit.  I cleaned up Grace’s vulva area again, cleaned my gloved hands, lubed up, and checked it out.  It was a rear leg.  I reached in further and found a hock stuck at the cervix.  I pushed the kid back into the womb far enough so that I could rotate that bent leg and pull it into the birth canal.  Once both back legs were in position, I helped pull out the spotted 6.8# doeling.

After another session of kid licking, Grace again started pushing hard.  Since both other kids had been a bit out of position, I decided to check it out.  Entering the birth canal I could feel a kid coming in perfect nose and toes position.  Out came a splashy 6.5# doeling.

5/14/14 DNA testing revealed what we suspected - Boeshane is the sire of these lovely girls.

Triumphant Victory


4/12/14 After coming in for some grain this morning, Victory hid in a shed, pawing the dirt, and looking uncomfortable. I brought her into the doe barn and put her in a kidding pen so that I could keep an eye on her.  She fussed around for several hours, and then started to get serious.

Around 1PM she started into hard labor.  After several hard pushing sessions I did a two finger check to be sure that all was well.  Her cervix wasn’t quite fully open, but when I did a quick massage on it, it opened up beautifully.  I felt one leg starting to work into the birth canal, so I let Victory work on pushing more parts through.  Soon one foot, a nose, and a knee made an appearance.  With one more big push the 6.4# doeling was born.  She is red with tiny spots.

As Joan started to clean the new baby up, Victory started pushing again.  A lovely clear birth bubble came out with a nose and two hooves showing.  Once the bubble burst, the 5.7# doeling slid out.  This one is red with a small white splash.  David cleaned her up.  She was very feisty and was trying to suckle anything she could get her mouth on.

Victory enjoyed licking on her kids, then she stood up and was milked for the first time in her life.  She did great and made enough high test colostrum to feed her lovely girls.

This kidding is the last one that Joan will be here to help us with - at least for this year. Joan has been a terrific help and we've enjoyed having her here immensely. Thanks, Joan!

Joan, with LGD Kailin, and yearling doe Audra

Carmella Kids

Carmella/ River Rock

4/12/14 This morning I let Carly out of the kidding pen. She had spent the night in there since her ligaments were not detectable and her milk was in.  She came in for lead feeding but really only wanted the animal crackers that David hands out at the exit door.  So after we were done with the other lead feeders Joan put Carly back into the kidding pen.  She protested a bit, but settled in pretty quickly.

At around 9:30 AM Carly started pushing hard.  Joan and I went out and set up for catching kids.  Carly pushed out a large glob of cervical plug mucus and a birthin’ bubble.  Soon the bubble broke and two hooves and a nose came into view.  First time momma, Carly, changed her position a few times, trying to figure out what was happening back there.    Very quickly she pushed out a 7.5# brown doeling.  That’s a big kid for a first timer but Carly did great.

Joan cleaned the baby up while Carly started pushing again.  A bubble was pushed out.  It broke and once again two hooves and a nose came into view.  Carly pushed hard and soon a 7.2# black buckling was born.

It took just minutes from the start of hard labor until Carly was finished.  She milked almost a quart of colostrum from a lovely udder, licked on her babies, and then took a nice, long nap.

Maternal Menolly


4/10/14 Menolly isn't on our breeding schedule since she came to the ranch just a few weeks ago under special circumstances.  She has been living in our quarantine area along with our old, gentle, retired buck, Rio.  They really hit it off and love hanging out together.

Yesterday Menolly’s milk had come in and her hindquarters were very loose.  Joan and I sat out with her on and off throughout the afternoon.  But it wasn’t until just after midnight that she got serious.  I went out and sat in her pen with her.  When she started into hard labor I called David and Joan to let them know.  They came out just in time for Menolly to start pushing out a bubble.  After a few pushing sessions with no progress, I cleaned up her backside and my gloved hands, and checked out what was going on.

I only planned on doing a quick two finger check, but Menolly was so loose that my whole hand slid right in.  I found a kid's tail at the cervix, indicating that it was trying to be born butt first which is just not a good positon. So I needed to push the kid back into the uterus and find the back hooves.  I didn’t even feel the pelvic bones as I reached into the uterus.  This doe is roomy!  It was a quick fix to move the two back legs into the birth canal and out into the world.  David, Joan, and especially Menolly worked to clean the 7.2# fella up. 

Soon Menolly started to push again.  She easily gave birth to another buckling, this one in nose and toes position and weighing 7.7#, and quite quickly after that a third buckling in nose and toes position was born.  This one weighed 8.2#.

Menolly was nickering and licking her babies and really enjoying her new role as a mom.  Since she is still in quarantine we left the babies with her.  She had them dried and fed in short order.  It’s quite fun to see her with her instant family.

Brilliant Brillosa

Brillosa/Exotic Affair

4/7/14 Brill can be pretty melodramatic at kidding time. Not necessarily her kidding time – she’s melodramatic when anyone is kidding. If a doe is in labor, Brill is moaning and writhing. Throughout last night I thought I could hear Brill working hard, to the point that I got up at 4AM to see if she was OK.  Funny thing was that it wasn’t Brill moaning.  It was another doe that wasn’t even close to kidding.  Amusing goat tricks designed to drive their people crazy. Once I figured out that Brill wasn’t in the throes of agony, I relaxed a little. 

This morning, while David and I milked the goats, Joan sat out with Brill.  Brill was lying down, continuing to do some preliminary positioning of her kids.  I had predicted that once she started into hard labor that she would push the kids out quickly.  She was very loose in her hindquarters.

Just as we were finishing up milking and letting the lead feeders in, Joan radioed that Brill was pushing hard.  I ran out to the barn, leaving David to finish up moving the lead feeders out.   When I got to Brill’s pen, she had already pushed out a lovely clear bubble.  I could see the kid’s head in it.  I did not see any feet.  I popped the bubble, reached inside of Brill, and found a missing front leg.  Out shot a spotted 6.4# doeling.

I placed the doeling on an empty feed sack and Joan cleaned out her mouth and nose.  David showed up as Brill was pushing out her second doeling.  This black doe with red trim came with one leg folded back and weighed 7.6#.  David took over cleaning her up.

It wasn’t long before a third doeling made her unique entrance by coming with one rear hoof and a hock first.   This overly spotted girl weighed 7.2#.    Soon Brill started pushing again.  I checked inside and found that doeling #4 was trying to come forehead first with both front legs folded back.  I found a leg, aligned the nose into the birth canal, and the spotted 6.3# girl slid out. 

Joan, David, and Brill were kept jumping. It took less than half an hour from the start of hard labor for Brill to get all four of her daughters on the ground.  That’s a fast kidding! I got Brill some molasses water, cleaned her up, and milked out three pints of ultra high test colostrum.  Brill cleaned well and fast, the kids ate great, then kids and mom took a very long nap.  It had been a quick, but exhausting, birth day. 

Poor Old Poppy


4/6/14 Nine year old Poppy was carrying her pregnancy very well until about a week ago when she started having trouble getting up and was shaky on her feet. Since it was hard for her to compete for food at the manger, I would feed her separately. She really appreciated the oranges that friends had brought for us from their fruit trees in the Phoenix valley (Thanks, Beth!).

Soon Poppy couldn’t get up by herself and she would stand for days at a time.  When she did finally lay down David and I would have to help her to stand up when she indicated that she wanted up.  Poppy is a very large doe, weighing close to 300# when pregnant, so it was quite a project getting her standing.

Due to Poppy’s struggling with the pregnancy, I wanted to induce labor.  We had a firm breeding date for Poppy.  However, her ultrasound showed a singleton kid that looked to have been conceived at a later date, which would have meant that the clean-up buck had serviced her even though I hadn’t seen that.  It was a very hard decision to go ahead and induce since that would mean killing the kid if it was conceived at the later date, but I didn’t feel that Poppy could survive 3 more weeks of carrying her pregnancy.

36 hours after giving the drugs to induce labor Poppy was starting to string mucus but not pushing.  I checked inside of her and worked to stretch out her birth canal.  Finally I could reach into the uterus.  I felt a head cocked to the side with legs folded back along its body.  I pulled one leg forward, straightened out the head and pulled out an absolutely gorgeous, full term doeling.  Sadly, her birth sack was tightly adhered to her and she had been dead for awhile.   It was a lot like Diva’s buckling whose ultrasound showed the small birth sack.  I’m wondering if that is what happened here.  But regardless of the reason, we are very sad to have lost this baby and we really hope that Poppy will recover fully.

Dancing with Reese and Tally

Reese/River Rock

4/5/14 Boy, are we lucky to have our friend, Joan, here for a week to help us with the goats, kids, and cheese making!  We are very glad to have her here.  Today, we kept Joan busy with chores, making a few Gouda cheeses, and redesigning my cumbersome goat database.  Then around 2:30 PM she and I headed to the barn since Tally and her yearling daughter, Reese, were both starting to get serious about losing their loads.

Both does were pawing, stretching, yawning, and doing some preliminary pushing.  Then Reese started into hard labor and fairly quickly pushed out an elegant 6.3# black buckling in perfect nose and toes position.  Joan worked to clean the kid up.  David arrived and since Tally was now starting into hard labor he stayed with her.  I headed to that pen and caught a 7.7# brown spotted "moose" that also came out in nose and toes position.  What an incredibly sturdy doeling!  David was working to clean her up when Tally again started pushing.  This time she pushed out a 7.4# red doeling - also very sturdy, but a bit stressed.  David got her breathing well and was drying her off when Reese went back into hard labor in the other pen.

I checked Reese and she had a kid head pushed out but no legs.  The kid seemed quite limp.  Joan held Reese steady while I reached in to find a leg to facilitate getting the kid out.  I found one folded up inside the birth canal.  I straightened it out and pulled a 6.3# black spotted doeling out.  While I had been working I had told David that we would need his skills in kid care for this one.  He got to Reese's pen just as I laid the doeling on an empty feed sack.  David worked to clear her nose and mouth.  She had aspirated a lot of mucus so David held her on his lap with her head lower than her body.  He patted her side and continued cleaning mucus from her mouth and nose.  Soon she rallied and hasn't looked back.

All four kids are doing great and looking awesome.  Both does are milking well already.

With only 30+ does kidding over a period of about 2 months, wouldn't you think that they could space it out better? 

Reese's kids above, Tally's kids below

Liberty Lets Loose

Liberty Rose

4/5/14 Liberty Rose was bred to kid in early March.  When her original due date came and went, we assumed that she had been bred later by our "clean up" buck, who this year was River Rock.  A clean up buck is a lucky fella that gets to run with the does after the regular breeding season.  He detects any unbred does and then works to "correct" that problem. 

We did several ultrasounds on Liberty, but they never revealed any kids or placental attachments, just some fluid.  Today we found out why.  Liberty Rose had what I believe was a Cloudburst (false pregnancy).  Today she was stringing mucus and other fluids and by evening looked as if she had kidded even though there were no kids.  I bounced her belly, which had been firm like a pregnant doe's belly should be, but now it was flaccid and felt like a newly kidded doe's belly feels.

Liberty's milk did not come in, so we will miss her on the milking line-up.  We'll try again this fall to get her bred successfully.

Ballistic Betty


4/4/14 This morning Betty didn't come in for lead feeding. Usually she is first in line at the door and is very eager to come in for some grain - so eager that David dubbed her "Ballistic Betty" due to her enthusiasm. I headed out to find her. She was standing off away from her friends and she was stringing mucus. When I finished cleaning the milking parlor I put Betty in a kidding pen but she didn’t like being in there alone.  I grabbed a Sudoku puzzle book and hung out with her.  At 9:45AM she started into hard labor.  By 10AM she had her triplets delivered and was drinking some warm molasses water - now THAT'S ballistic!

When Betty started into hard labor she passed an afterbirth bubble (a fluid filled sack with no kid inside), followed quickly by a feisty 4.0# doeling in perfect nose and toes position.  She ties the record for being the smallest kid ever born at BMR.

Once David had her cleaned and dried Betty started pushing again.  Out came a lumpy ball of parts.  It was a birth sack with a very folded up, tiny doeling in it.  The kid had been dead for quite a while.

Soon Betty started pushing again.  This kid came nose and toes – sort of.  The toes were very far back instead of leading the way.  But Betty just kept pushing and out came the 4.5# buckling.  The kids are 4 days early which is why they are so small.  They are tired, but eating well and already walking around like it is a new hobby.

Betty looks great and like she will be a big asset to us in the milking parlor.   

Silent Sophie

Sophie/River Rock

4/1/14 After getting Ella's and Jubilee's kids fed, the does milked, and the new momma's checked on, it was time for a late dinner. Julie and Trish, who had just driven here from Oregon and then been put to work birthin' babies, were staying the night before taking their new BMR kids back home with them. We chatted while eating David's wonderful lasagne and sausage. Every 5 or 10 minutes I'd go into the office to check the barn cam which was pointed at Sophie. Sophie was in a kidding pen but not looking especially close to downloading. She just seemed to be doing some preliminary work to position her kids.

As we were finishing up dessert, I checked the monitor again. Instead of just one goat in the pen, I saw three! We hurried out and found Sophie looking very confused. Two sopping wet bucklings were laying in a puddle of slime also looking confused. Julie and David each took a kid and worked to clean them off. Sophie investigated the new arrivals. I went to get her some molasses water which she seemed to think was a pretty good treat.

The boys weighed in at 8.4# and 6.9# and are doing great. Sophie is a first time momma that we are excited to have working for us.

Many thanks to Trish and Julie for all of their hard work while they were here. They were great to work with in their short time here and we expect to hear great things about the Running River Dairy in the not to distant future! Good luck with your plans, Julie!

Dancing with Jubilee And Elegance

Jubilee/River Rock

4/1/14 First fresheners Jubilee, Elegance, and Sophie were all due to kid today and they sure acted like they had read the schedule. All three had been having preliminary contractions throughout the night, and today they all seemed ready for their “hardest work day of the year”.    We were surprised that Elegance had made it to her due date since she has been so very loose in her hindquarters for weeks now.  In fact, she had spent her last 4 nights in the kidding pen so that I could keep watch on her.  My bet was on Ella kidding first.

About 4 PM today Julie, from Running River Dairy in Oregon, and her mother, Trish, came to pick up several BMR kids to further their herd development.  I showed them around and introduced them to their new junior herd sire and new foundation doe(ling).   Then we headed to the barn to check on the three does that were thinking about kidding.  As we were about to head to the milking parlor to start milking, Jubilee started into hard labor.  She pushed like crazy.  I put on some nitrile gloves, cleaned up her vulva, and did a two finger check.  I felt nose and toes in the birth canal.  Soon they immerged.  I helped a bit by straightening out the front legs to make them more ergonomic, and Jubilee pushed out a 6.8# brown buckling covered in spots. 

As Jubilee and David were cleaning this fella up, Elegance started into hard labor.  I headed into her pen and got set up for cleaning off her kids.  Ella pushed out a lovely clear birth bubble, but I only saw a head in it.  I did a check and found that the kid was trying to come out with both front legs folded back.  David left Jubilee with her buckling and came over to hold Ella for me.  I lubed up and reached in to find the lost legs.  There were a lot of kid parts in there, but I was able to find a matching leg and out came a 5.8# black spotted buckling.  Julie worked to clean him up.  I went back inside of Ella and pulled a second kid out.  It was another buckling, this one was a splashy brown roan fella that weighed 7.2#.

Once both boys were cleaned up, I checked back inside of Ella.  I found a head and matching leg.  Out came an ultra cute 4.1# colorful black roan doeling with red trim, covered in spots and splashes.

Julie and Ella continued to clean up Ella’s babies.  David and I headed back to Jubilee’s pen since we really suspected that another kid still needed to make an entrance into the world.  When Jubilee finally stood up, I bounced her belly.  I was pretty sure that I felt a kid.  I cleaned up my gloved hand and her vulva area, then went in to explore.  I found a head and one leg.  Soon a 5.4# doeling was born.

I got Ella and Jubilee their warm molasses water and milked them out for the first time in their lives.  They stood like champs and made plenty of colostrum to feed their babies.

Julie, Trish, and I headed in to milk the does – we were over an hour late and the does were protesting mightily.  David took the kids and got them weighed and fed.  It was quite a hectic evening! But the does look great and the kids are ultra active and rearing to go.

Jubilee's Twins (above), Ella's Triplets (below)

Percy Has Trouble


3/18/14 Percy carried her pregnancy incredibly well, she looked great and was eating great. Yesterday she started looking like she would kid a bit early. I just figured it was because she was carrying a big load. But after almost a day of preliminary work she started to string some nasty looking fluid. I wanted to check out what was happening but Percy still was not loose enough in the rump.

About noon today I felt that she had loosened enough for me to check inside. After just a few minutes of massaging her birth canal I could reach into the uterus. I felt two heads in there but neither one seemed interested in being born. I pulled one head into the birth canal and found a leg that went with it. Out came a dead buckling with a lot more of that nasty brown fluid. I went right back into the womb to pull the next kid, hoping for better results. But the results were the same, a dead buckling with nasty fluid.

Again I went in, but didn't feel another kid. On Percy's ultrasound last December we thought she was carrying quads. So I checked again. Way down deep I finally found a head. I pulled it and one leg into the birth canal and on out into the world. The 5.6# doeling was breathing and alert!

We don't know what could have caused the death of the boys. Possibly it had something to do with the missing 4th kid? Whatever the reason, we are very glad that the doeling and Percy seem to be doing fine.

Harmony And Discord


3/17/14 Harmony was due to kid 5 days ago, but she didn't look at all ready. I thought that maybe I had the date wrong. Then, tonight, right before evening milking time I saw that Harmony had picked out her usual place to kid and looked to be getting to work. But her milk wasn't in and her rump had barely softened. It was going to be a bad kidding.

I moved her into a kidding pen and left her to do more preliminary work, hoping that her rump would soften and relax enough to let her kid pass. From her ultrasound last December I was pretty sure that she was only carrying one kid.

Harmony fussed around and had mild contractions. Then about 11PM she started pushing harder. David and I went out to see what could be done. We had already discussed the possibility that we might lose Harmony or need to get a C-Section done. I was also quite aware that the kid(s) play a big part in signaling the doe to prepare to give birth, and since she just hadn't gotten the right signals than possibly the kid was already dead.

Harmony was laying down, pushing. David put an empty feed sack underneath her backside to help keep her vulva area clean. I gloved up, cleaned her vulva area up, and checked inside of her to see how tight she was. To my great delight, Harmony was actually fairly roomy! I was able to work my hand into the birth canal, through the cervix, and into the uterus. Whew!

Next came trying to decipher what I was feeling in there. It was a wadded up, tangled kid. Not good. I found the head and moved it into the birth canal. Then I went back in to find a leg which proved to be much more difficult than it should have been. By then I knew the kid was dead - it had no inclination to help out or move around. Finally I found a leg and pulled it into the birth canal along side of the head. Out came an ultra-splashy doeling, dead as suspected.

We are thrilled that Harmony pulled through so well, but very sad to have lost her lovely doeling.

♬ Nobody Doesn't Like Rosalee! ♬

Rosalee/River Rock

3/16/14 OK, I know the jingle is supposed to be "Nobody Doesn't Like Saralee" (not to mention that I'm dating myself, and lots of folks probably don't even know that advertising ditty), but around here everyone likes Rosalee. She is a very sweet, energetic yearling, littermate sister to our junior herd sire, Boeshane.

Today was her due date but she didn't look quite ready to kid so I was able to get a lot of other projects done without worrying about her kidding unattended. But right before evening milking time I could see that things had changed. Rosalee had wandered off to be alone.

David and I milked the does, then I went out to get the kidding pen ready for the soon-to-be new momma. As I was filling a water bucket to put in the kidding pen for her I looked out into the doe pen. I saw Rosalee laying out there, her water had just broken, and she was in hard labor.

Since all of her goaty buddies wanted to "help", David moved Rosalee into a kidding pen. She continued to work hard. Soon a hoof and a head came into view. I did a one finger check to see where that other hoof was and found that the leg was bent at the knee and trying to double the work needed to slid out. So I poked the knee which caused the whole leg to straighten out back along the kid's body, thus streamlining the delivery. In less than 20 minutes from Rosalee's water breaking, her lovely brown 5.2# daughter came into the world.

First time momma Rosalee is very confused about what happened, but we expect that she will figure it out and be a great asset to our herd.

Amanda Makes It Happen

3/15/14 It has been great having Amanda here this week. She is totally awesome with the goats, loves helping with the kids and other livestock, and even is fun at 2AM helping to clean off newborn kids in her Mini-Mouse pajamas (a gift from her young daughter). We are SO very lucky to have Amanda as a friend! We just love having her here at the ranch.

Today was her last day here before she headed home. Hopefully she will be back soon. We really enjoy having her around, and I think the goats really like her, too!

Worrying About Celeste

Celeste/Exotic Affair

3/14/14 The does have been doing extremely great this year - carrying their pregnancies well and kidding easily with healthy, vigorous kids.  Only a few does have worried me.  Celeste was one of them.  About midway through her pregnancy she stopped eating well.  Since then I have been babying her, bribing her, coaxing her, and watching her like a hawk.  She continued to not eat well.  She lost a lot of body condition, but otherwise was looking and acting fine.  I monitored her urine for ketones.  Ketones are excreted when the body is metabolizing too much body fat.   

About a week before Celeste’s due date her ketone level headed up significantly, basically she was starving.  I worried about the kids and about Celeste.  But she was showing signs that she was getting ready to kid so I just continued to support her as best as possible.  I drenched her with propylene glycol and MFO Solution daily.  I even resorted to feeding her Chicken Layer Pellets (a.k.a. Goaty Crack) and animal crackers just to get some calories into her.  But her due date came and went and she didn’t lose her load.  So I decided to induce labor.  Once I had given her the injections to do that I expected her to kid in about 12 to 18 hours since she was already past her due date.  But she didn’t kid.

At 3PM today, 22 hours after the injections, I did a check inside of her birth canal to see if her cervix was opening.  It was, but not a lot.  Celeste’s attitude was still great; she was alert and interactive, so I decided to give her a bit more time.  But I did worry about how all of this would affect the kids.

A few hours later Celeste started having some contractions.  I didn’t want her to work too hard because I was concerned about her energy reserves by this time. I decided to pull her kids.  David, Amanda, and I headed out to Celeste’s kidding pen.

I cleaned up Celeste’s vulva area, gloved up, lubed up, and slowly inserted my whole hand into her birth canal, reaching past the cervix, and into the uterus.  Celeste had shown that she was carrying quads on her ultrasound so I wasn’t surprised to feel lots of body parts.

I found two matching back legs and pulled them into the canal and on out into the world.  The stunning, splashy 5.7# red doeling was feisty!  What a relief!!

Once Amanda had the kid cleaned and wrapped in a towel, I went back into Celeste and found a head with matching front legs.  Soon a 7.4# brown doeling came out.  She, too, was feisty.  Before Amanda could clean her up, Celeste started pushing hard.  I helped a bit, and a blue roan 7.8# buckling came out in nose and toes position.  David worked to clean that fella off.

I went in to find the fourth kid but didn’t feel anyone home.  That was odd.  So I bounced Celeste’s belly to confirm that she was done.  But she wasn’t done.  I felt a hoof.  Hmmm.  I cleaned up my gloved hands before checking back inside.  I guess the bouncing worked to dislodge that last kid from wherever it had been hiding.  The 6.8# black doeling was born back legs first.

Celeste milked a quart of ultra thick, high test colostrum.  It was so thick that we had to thin it down with some "normal" colostrum from our frozen colostrum bank. All of the kids are doing extremely well.  Celeste spent the rest of the evening and night eating.  I think she is going to be just fine.

Celeste - in her last four kiddings - has produced 12 doelings and 2 bucklings.

Cora Kids

Cora/Exotic Affair

3/13/14 This afternoon Cora picked right in front of the feed room door as the place where she wanted to kid. It was not an especially smart place since it was a very busy area. So when she stood up Amanda moved her into a kidding pen. Cora finally accepted that she had to stay there and began doing some preliminary pushing. When Tory started into hard labor, Cora seemed to get serious, too. We were ready for both does to kid at the same time but really hoped that Cora would wait her turn, and were thankful that she did.

Once Tory was finished kidding, it was time to milk the does. I headed in to do that, David cared for Tory's twins and got them fed, and Amanda stayed with Cora. Just as I was milking the last doe, Amanda called to say that Cora was in hard labor. I headed out, gloved up, and did a quick 2 finger check. A kid was coming in perfect nose and toes position. Soon Cora pushed out an 8.2# doeling.

Quite quickly afterwards Cora started pushing again. We must be living right - it was another perfectly positioned kid and soon we found out that it was also a doe! We've had 14 doelings out of the last 16 kids born. Cora and her babies are doing very well.

Tory's Twins


3/13/14 Around 5 PM, just as Amanda was finishing up feeding all the animals, Tory started into hard labor. It started with just a few hard pushing session and then she got really serious. I did a two finger check to make sure that all was well. I felt a kid in the birth canal in perfect position. But Tory's birth canal seemed a bit tight. She had to work hard to push that cute 7.5# doeling out. Just a minute or so later out flew her 6.8# sister. Once the kids were out Tory really enjoyed licking on them - and on Amanda, the towels, the feed sack, and anything else within reach.



Opal/Exotic Affair

3/13/14 This morning when Opal came in for some grain she was stringing birthing goo, so Amanda put her in a kidding pen and kept an eye on her. Around 10 AM Opal started pushing on and off. I put on nitrile gloves, cleaned up her backside, and did a 2 finger check to be sure the kid was in a good position to be born. I felt nose and toes - perfect!

David had to leave before the first kid was born, so it was just Amanda and I in the pen with Opal. After Opal had a few sessions of hard pushing, I checked inside again. The legs were at the exit and I gave them a gentle tug. Out came a 6.5# black buckling with red trim. He was squirmy and active, trying to get up and walk away before getting dried off.

Opal didn't seem much inclined to push a second kid out right away so I milked her colostrum out. She gave almost half a gallon of the precious stuff. After waiting half an hour or so I did another two finger check. Again I felt nose and toes - perfect! Soon she pushed out another black buckling. This one has tan trim and weighed 8.7# That's a big boy. No wonder Opal took her time pushing him out.

Once he was buffed dry Opal pushed again and another kid in perfect nose and toes form was born. A lovely blue roan 6.6# doeling.

Later, when I cleaned up the placentas that Opal had passed I discovered a "fur ball". Evidently she had conceived quads but one of them didn't form correctly. It was a golf ball sized spongy mass covered in hair with an umbilical cord attached. Let me tell ya - that is just not something you see everyday!

The three kids and Opal are doing great.

Midnight Serenity


3/13/14 Serenity was spending the night in a kidding pen since she seemed ready to kid. Around 12:30 AM I woke up after hearing a few deep grunts that might have been the start of someone going into hard labor. I checked the monitor of the pan/tilt/zoom camera that is in the barn but didn't see anyone pushing. I started to go back to sleep, but decided to get dressed and go out to check on the does in person.

When I got to Serenity's pen I saw that she had already pushed out a head but the kid still had both front legs folded back inside the birth canal. I radioed to David and Amanda that we had babies coming. I put on nitrile gloves and checked out the kid situation. The kid was already breathing and the legs were tucked tight along its body. I reached in a little way and pulled one shoulder forward to try to streamline the delivery as much as possible. The 6.6# doeling slid out just as Amanda arrived with an empty feed sack to place her on.

Amanda worked to clean off the doeling while Serenity worked to get her next kid born - a 5.8# black doeling. She came in nose and toes position and David cleaned her off. Since Serenity didn't seem to be interested in pushing again just yet, I milked her out. After her rest break she pushed out a third doeling weighing 8.3#. Obviously, Serenity had needed to rest before pushing that kid out. What a whopper of a daughter!

Serenity cleaned well, the kids ate great, we went back to bed.

Alchemy Emulates Her Role Model


3/11/14 Alchemy (Kimmy) looks a lot like our older doe, Celeste - red with a splash of white on her left side that looks like a bull's eye and another white splash on the other side. Alchemy and Celeste were both on my "watch list" for the last few days, but in the low light of the barn at night and on the CCTV camera system sometimes it was hard to tell which one was which.

Today I put Kimmy in a kidding pen so that we could keep an eye on her. Around 1PM she started getting serious, pushing on and off, standing up then laying down, stretching and moaning. She also had some fresh blood dripping from her vulva which I didn't like. I would have preferred to see mucus or amniotic fluid. So I cleaned up her vulva area, gloved up, lubed up, and checked it out. I slowly inserted my hand into her birth canal. A birth sack broke and sprayed my pants and shoes with all that amniotic fluid that I had wanted to see. Then I felt two heads trying to come through. I pushed one back, found a leg that belonged to the first head, and helped a brown roan speckled 5.3# doeling come into the world.

Amanda and Kimmy worked to clean her off. Since Kimmy wasn't interested in pushing out the next kid, I milked her out. After waiting longer with no signs of Kimmy pushing I checked back inside of her, found two front legs and a nose, and out came another brown roan doeling. This one weighing 6.4#.

More cleaning and waiting, then I went back inside of Kimmy and pulled out another kid. This one was black with white spots and weighed 5.1#. It was another doeling!

For the last three years Celeste (who Kimmy resembles) has had three doelings each time. If Kimmy wants to have a role model like that, it's fine with us!

Jackie Scores A Perfect "10"


3/10/14 Amanda is here! Amanda is my "Birthin' Buddy", she comes to the ranch every year to help us out at kidding time. She is great with the animals, a big help for us, and is very fun to have around.

As I was showing Amanda which goats were close to kidding we saw that Jackie was on the hunt for a private place to kid. I put her in the kidding pen and she settled right in. We had lunch, fed and played with the kids, then checked back in with Jackie. She had a bubble of light yellow fluid hanging out of her vulva.

Not long after that Jackie had a few hard contractions and out came a lovely 6.2# doeling in picture perfect "nose and toes" position. Amanda cleaned her off and buffed her dry.

Very soon Jackie pushed out a second doeling, this one weighing 6.3# and also in perfect position, David dried off that girl. I got Jackie some warm molasses water. Jackie passed her placenta quickly and in less than 3 hours from the time we put her in the kidding pen she was back out with her friends. Her doelings are full of life and rearing to go! They are pictured below at less than half an hour old.

Amanda with the third born Alchemy doeling (see next entry)

Torrential Tyler

Tyler/Royal Gallifrey

3/7/14 Tyler was beyond huge, she was a magnificent behemoth. We started calling her "Quad Bod" about 4 months ago. So why she wanted to wait an extra 3 days before downloading her kids, I just don't know. She didn't seem to be getting ready to kid at all. Not until late yesterday. And even then she seemed very reluctant about it.

Yesterday afternoon her milk was in and her ligaments soft so I put her in the kidding pen. She protested my decision by rattling the fencing hard enough to make me worry about how well the fence was attached to the posts! But finally she accepted her fate and started having some preliminary contractions. The sheer size of Tyler's girth made me wonder if she really could line up all those kids and have them immerge through that little exit called the birth canal.

Around 1:30 this morning, once we finished up with Diva and her doeling, I decided to check the position of Tyler's kids to be sure there wasn't a problem. She still was just sorta/kinda going through the motions of pushing. So I cleaned up her vulva area, gloved up, lubed up, and was surprised to find that she felt tight in the birth canal. But very quickly she loosened up and it was very easy to feel the kids. Well, maybe I should say that it was easy to feel the legs. A lot of legs. Since I didn't feel a head in the vicinity, I found a matching pair of hocks instead. I rotated those very long back legs to find the hooves and easily pulled out a lovely 6.9# buckling. In contrast to Diva's kid in a dry birth sack, this kid was positively swimming in slime. Probably over a gallon of the wonderful, slippery stuff helped speed this boy out.

David worked to clean him up and then put him where Tyler could lick on him. I checked back inside of Tyler and found a head with matching front leg. Out came a brown roan 5.8# doeling, accompanied by lots more slime. Again David and Tyler cleaned the kid up. Again I went hunting for kid parts and again I found a head with matching leg. Out came a gorgeous 9.0# buckling and lots more slime.

As David and Tyler worked overtime with this lovely crew, I checked to be sure that all the kids were out. But way down deep I felt a head. Soon a very slippery, slimy 6.8# doeling was born. By that time I was standing in a lake of amniotic fluid. Not only had Tyler been waddling about with almost 30 pounds of babies, she had a whole swimming pool in there too!

Tyler and her kids are doing great. The kids are the most active newborns that I've ever seen - jumping and playing within minutes of birth.

This stunning fella is headed to Colorado!
This lovely young lady is going to New Mexico!

A stylish buckling going to Utah!

This beauty is staying right here at BMR!

Diva Fights Destiny


3/7/14 Last December when Arlana was here to teach us how to ultrasound the does, Diva showed that she was carrying twins. But Arlana kept looking at those twins on the ultrasound and shaking her head. Finally she said that one of the kids was in a very small birth sack and it didn't look quite right. I tried not to worry about that since there was nothing I could do about it. But just after midnight when I went out to put Diva in the kidding pen I remembered what Arlana had said.

Diva didn't waste any time getting down to business. As soon as she was in the kidding pen she laid down and started to push. She very quickly pushed out a cute, healthy 4.7# doeling. Since the kid was so little I hoped that this was the kid that had a small birth sack and that all would be well. But it wasn't.

Diva pushed on and off for the next half an hour before I decided to investigate. I cleaned her backside up, gloved up, lubed up, and went exploring. I found a wadded up kid. Usually that is an indication that the kid is already dead. I worked to align him with the birth canal and pull him out. The buckling indeed was dead already, his birth sack tightly adhered to him with no amniotic fluid at all. This poor fella's fate had been decided many months ago.

Diva and her doeling are doing great.

Marvelous Old Marlyn


3/6/14 For an old lady, Marlyn carried her pregnancy very well. But it was obvious that the 9 year old girl was starting to struggle towards the end. Even so, she'd still waddle into the milking parlor every morning for some grain, then back out to the barn for some alfalfa, and over to lay in the sun and chew her cud. I put her in a kidding pen last night to keep an eye on her.

This morning Marlyn's milk had come in and the ligaments around her tail head were fully loose so I left her in the pen. She had preliminary contractions throughout the day. I gave her a drench of MFO Solution, which is a supplement of calcium, phosphorus and other essential minerals necessary for muscles to do their work.

At 4PM I checked her urine to see if she was throwing ketones since she hadn't eaten since last night. She was. So I decided to expedite this delivery. I did not want the poor ol' girl to work any harder than was necessary. I washed up her vulva, put on nitrile gloves, lubricated them well, and slowly inserted my hand. Surprisingly, Mare's birth canal was very loose and roomy. Her cervix was almost fully dilated but on the other side of it I could feel a tangle of kids - none of which seemed to be leading the charge to be born.

I found a leg and a head that seemed to belong together and pulled them into the birth canal. Out came a 6.4# golden brown buckling. I placed him on an empty feed sack for David and Marlyn to clean up. While they worked I decided to check inside of Mare again to expedite the deliveries. I found another head and leg but they didn't move as easily towards the exit. Finally I figured out the the leg wasn't the left leg as I thought, but the right leg and it was crossed over the kid's head. I moved the leg to the correct side and out slid another golden brown buck, this one weighing 8.6#. Again David and Mare worked to clean him up.

Once the two boys were cleaned up I checked back inside of Marlyn. A beautiful 6.6# black doeling sprinkled with spots was just waiting to be born.

Marlyn was a really great sport about the whole thing and is feeling much better now that she isn't lugging all those kids around.

Ariel Kicks Off Our Kidding Season

Ariel/River Rock

3/5/14 A few days ago when my husband, David, asked me which doe would kid first he really figured that I'd predict Marlyn or Tyler. Instead I laughed and said it would be Ariel. But I really was just "kidding".

This morning while feeding the does I checked out how the "close-up girls" were doing. The "close-up girls" are the ones that are really close to kidding. Marlyn (due today) and Tyler (due yesterday) did not seem ready to kid, but Ariel's milk was in and the ligaments around her tail head were quite loose. She was talkative, needy, and felt that she really had to lick on me.

I spent the morning working around the doe barn - cleaning the feed room, moving over several tons of feed, hanging out and loving on the does. At noon I put Ariel into a kidding pen since she seemed quite ready to download. Ariel's labor seemed to progress as if she had read the textbook. At 1:15 I went to hang out with her and play Sudoku. At 1:30 David came out just as Ariel started into hard labor. By 1:45 she had her three lovely, healthy, boisterous kids on the ground. The first and third baby came in perfect nose and toes position. The second one had one leg folded back. Practically a picture perfect kidding - with the exception that all three kids were boys. The first fella weighed in at 8#, the other two were 7.3# each .

Second born kid (left), third born (middle), and first born (right)

Getting Started


2/1/14 I'm Kathryn, the BMR Goat Herd Manager.  Together with my husband, David, we live on a 280 acre high desert Arizona ranch running an artisan goat cheese dairy. David is the cheese maker and he also helps me with the goats.  During kidding season he feeds and cuddles the kids, and gives the does lots of treats.  He is also the driving force behind keeping the ranch running smoothly.

I am a believer in not letting a kidding go too long before checking if there is a problem. I've found that does that have long, hard labors don't produce as much milk and are much more stressed than if I do a pelvic exam and facilitate the kid deliveries. In this diary I will write about the does kidding and I will tell it like it is - good, bad, or ugly.

The girls are getting fat and doing a lot of humming to their unborn kids. They are looking great and we are excited to see what surprises they have in store for us. We hope you enjoy reading about them.

Making Babies

Ultrasound Weekend at BMR

12/22/13 Our does usually kid with twins or triplets, but sometimes they have quads and, once, an overachiever even had quintuplets.  Since the nutrition of each doe is so important during gestation, we decided to get an ultrasound machine so that we could get a sneak preview of the number of kids each doe is carrying. This way we can adjust their nutrition accordingly.

Unfortunately, simply having the machine isn't all that is required.  Skill is an essential part of the process.  Luckily for us we were able to get a wonderful sonographer to come to the ranch and give us some very intensive training with the new equipment.  Arlana was skilled, informative, and endlessly patient with us.  If anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area is interested in learning how to ultrasound or wants to get an ultrasound done on their animals - contact Arlana

Harmony shows us her singleton kid (left), Carmella's twins (center), one of Opal's unborn triplets makes an appearance (right)

Here are some of the results from the scans.  We'll see next spring how accurate they are! (Actual number born is shown in yellow)

Tyler: At least Triplets (Quads)
Alchemy: Triplets, possibly quads (Triplets )
Harmony: Singleton (Singleton)
Celeste: Quads (Quads)
Cora: At least Twins, probably Triplets, could even be Quads (Twins)
Tory: Twins (Twins)
Diva: Twins (Twins)
Opal: Triplets (Triplets)
Rosalee: Singleton (Singleton)
Percy: Quads (Triplets)
Tally: Twins (Twins)
Carmella: Twins (Twins)

Thank you so much, Arlana, for all your help!!

  Click here to place a deposit or payment.  Be sure to discuss your selection with Kathryn first. 


Click here to email Kathryn or call her at (928) 536-7759 for more information on how to reserve the kids of your choice.  If you are not sure about which kids might work best for your herd Kathryn would be delighted to discuss this with you.


The above listed prices are for reserved kids.  Prices for kids purchased after they are born may be higher. Updates to our Goats for Sale page are posted regularly.


We try to limit reservations to two doelings and two bucklings from each breeding on Senior does, and one doeling from each breeding on Junior does.  If you are interested in getting a kid from a doe that is already "booked up" let us know and we can put you on a waiting list.


Occasionally a different buck will be used than is listed.  Reservations on these breedings can be honored, changed, or deposits refunded at the buyer's request.


For more information on how to use the above breeding chart click here

Goat Sales

Prices and Policies

We offer fine Nubian Kids and Goats for sale from time to time. All of our Nubians are purebred and can be sold registered.

Goat Sales Prices
  • Registered Does and Bucks $400 and up
  • Doe Kids and Buck Kids with Registration Application $300 and up
    (10% Discount on purchases of 5 or more kids from this category)
  • Unregistered Bucks $200 and up
  • Wethers $100 and up
Goat Sales Policies

We require a $100 deposit per reserved kid with the balance due within 7 days of the birth of the kid. If payment is not received within that time the buyer will forfeit their deposit money. Prices for reserved kids are for kids picked up by 3 weeks of age. After 3 weeks of age reserved kids will incur an additional $7.00 per day boarding charge. This is due to the cost of feeding the kids our pure fresh goat milk (instead of us being able to make cheese from the milk). While all reasonable care is taken to ensure the health and safety of the kids, Black Mesa Ranch will not be responsible for sickness or death of a reserved kid after it is three weeks old.

Deposits are refunded if your choice of kid is not born or if the kid is not up to our standards of quality. Deposits will not be refunded on cancelled orders. Refunds on deposits paid by credit card may incur a transaction fee. We will honor all reservations for kids to the best of our ability, however we do reserve the right to retain any kid as a replacement in our breeding program.

All goats are guaranteed free of CAE and CL. They are also all G6S Normal and carry the double high casein protein gene for better cheese making. All of our kids are sold disbudded. Any kids purchased as wethers will be castrated (banded) before leaving the property unless other arrangements are made and a refundable deposit given. There is a $20 fee for any replacement registration paperwork.

We prefer all kids and goats to be picked up at the ranch though other arrangements can be made.

Airport runs by BMR for shipping kids by air are $200 due to the 10 hour round trip from the ranch to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. Buyers wanting to fly their kids are also responsible for having an appropriate shipping crate delivered to the ranch at least one week prior to ship date, and for reserving the flight (Flight Schedule must be approved by BMR first). Buyer is responsible for the cost of the flight, the crate, the health certificate, and the airport run. Due to airline heat restrictions for flying, we may not be able to fly kids after May 1st (earlier if a heat wave comes in).

If you are interested in buying a goat, please contact us for availability (or to be put on our waiting list) by emailing Kathryn or calling (928) 536-7759.

Sale prices, terms and conditions subject to change prior to sale confirmation.