Scroll To Top
Scroll To Top

Purebred Nubian Dairy Goats

We are taking reservations now for 2018 kids!
BMR Goats are all 100% CAE Free, CL Free, G6S Normal and carry the Casein Protein for great cheesemaking. Email Kathryn or call (928) 536-7759
Our 2018 Kidding Diary will be posted below this Kidding Schedule.
For help on using this table click here

2018 Kidding Season

Senior Does

Due Date

SG Snowflake

Due March 6
Kidded Feb. 25
Quads: 1 doe, 3 bucks 2 does retained, 2 bucks reserved $550

Liberty Belle

Due March 6
Kidded March 2
Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck 1 doe reserved $450

SG Obsidian

Due March 6
Kidded March 3
Twins: 2 does 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved, 1 buck retained, 1 buck reserved $500

SG Arietta

Due March 6
Kidded March 3
Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved, 1 buck reserved $450

SG Melody

SG Gideon
Due March 6
Kidded March 3
Quints! 3 does, 2 bucks! 1 buck reserved $550

SG Reese

SG Gideon
Due March 6
Kidded March 4
Quads: 1 doe, 3 bucks 2 does retained, 2 bucks reserved,
1 doe on waiting list

SG Sky

Due March 6
Kidded March 4
Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved $500

SG Charlotte

Due March 6
Kidded March 4
Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck 1 doe reserved $500

SG Ashlee

Due March 6
Kidded March 4
Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe reserved, 1 buck reserved $450


SG Gideon
Due March 6
Kidded March 4
Triplets: 2 does, 1 buck 1 wether reserved $450

SG Abby

SG Gideon
Due March 6
Kidded March 4
Twins: 2 does 1 doe reserved $450

SG Onyx

SG Gideon
Due March 6
Kidded March 5
Triplets: 2 does, 1 buck 2 does reserved, 1 buck reserved $500


Due March 6
Kidded March 5
Twins: 2 does 2 does reserved, 1 buck reserved $450

SG Carmella

Due March 6
Kidded March 5
Singleton: 1 doe 2 does retained, 1 buck reserved $600
SG Betty
Due March 13
Kidded March 13
Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks 1 doe reserved, 1 buck reserved $500

SG Finale

SG Gideon
Due March 13
Kidded March 14
Twins: 2 bucks 1 doe reserved, 1 buck retained $500

SG Celia

Due March 21
Kidded March 21
Quads: 3 does, 1 buck 1 doe retained, 1 doe reserved $500
SG Detroit
Due March 27
Kidded March 25
Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks   $500

Junior Does

(No reservations will be taken for registered bucklings out of Junior Does)
Due Date
SG Gideon
Due March 6
Kidded March 5
Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck 2 does reserved $350
Due April 14
Kidded April 12
Triplets: 2 does, 1 buck   $350


Due April 13
Kidded April 13
Singleton: 1 doe   $350
Red Dawn
SG Gideon
Due April 18
Kidded April 17
Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck 1 doe reserved $350
Due April 20
Kidded April 18
Twins: 2 bucks 1 doe reserved $350
Due April 20
Kidded April 20
Twins: 1 doe, 1 buck   $350
SG Gideon
Due May 8
Kidded May 5
Triplets: 1 doe, 2 bucks   $350


SG Gideon
Due before July 15
Kidded June 30
Twins: 2 bucks   $350

Kathryn's 2018 Goat Kidding Diary

Kiddings will be listed below chronologically with the most recent first. To start at the earliest entry, click here.

And That's The Story


7/1/18 It's hard to believe that it is July already and our last kids were just born yesterday.  Up until Tipper kidded we were running exactly 50-50 for bucklings and doelings this year.  But Tipper “tipped” the scale with twin boys to make it a slightly buck year with 35 boys and 33 girls born.  We had 2 singletons, 11 sets of twins, 9 sets of triplets, and 3 sets of quadruplets.  We even had a set of quintuplets! (pictured here at a few hours old) 

We had a bit of a rocky start to the season, but all in all it was a great success.  The does are looking and milking great, the kids that we kept are growing well, are energetic, and have silky soft, shiny hair coats.

A big thanks to Amanda and Joan for coming to help us out.  They were kept quite busy.

Thanks to everyone that has shown faith in our herd and brought BMR goats into their lives.  We hope they bring you as much happiness as they bring to us.

----Kathryn, BMR Herd Manager

Tipper Breaks the Tie


6/30/18 Before Tipper kidded, our kid count was 33 doelings and 33 bucklings.  I had done an ultrasound on Tipper and only seen one kid – so, her kid would be the tie breaker. 

Tipper was pen bred and we didn’t have a due date for her.  We watched her carefully each time she came into the milking parlor for her lead feeding.  She was slowly developing a beautiful udder, but it was very slow.  Her tail head was starting to raise up, but the ligaments were still quite detectable.  Then, finally, this morning I could tell that this would be the day.  Her milk was in, ligaments undetectable, and she wasn’t hanging with her best buddy, Sera.

After morning milking, I moved her into a kidding pen, put out food and water for her, made sure that my kidding kit was ready, and got out my camp chair. Tipper fussed around, kicked a bit at her belly, stared off into space, laid down, stood up, and licked on me.  David came out to hang with us and Tipper decided that he was better to lick on – especially his beard.

Just after noon Tipper laid down and her water broke.  Crystal clear, ropy goo poured out.  She continued getting up and laying back down for half an hour or so.  Then she laid down with her butt tight up against a wall.  We always joke that that is a sure sign the kid will be born soon.  Sure enough, two hooves appeared followed by a nose, but the kid was already touching the wall behind.  I repositioned Tipper by pulling her back legs around.  That gave enough room to allow the 6.4# black buckling to slide out without getting squished. 

David worked to clean the fella up, Tipper helped.  Since Tipper’s ultrasound had only showed one kid, plus she had passed an afterbirth bubble right after the fella was born, I didn’t bother to bounce her belly. I got her some molasses water and milked her out.  Her udder is amazing for a first freshener, with nicely sized teats in good position.  As soon as I finished milking… out plopped a second kid.  The slimy, twisted up, limp body splattered to the ground.

The 5.6# splashy brown buckling rallied, and David cleaned him up while I just stood there – amazed. 

So not only did Tipper’s kidding break our tie in favor of boys, she added the second fella for good measure.   Both boys are looking great, Tipper may just win our Best Surprise Award for turning into such a beautiful milker.

Moon spotted boy
Splashy boy
First time momma

Surprising Serenade


5/5/18 A few months ago, I did an ultrasound on Sera and saw two babies.  Her pregnancy progressed well, and she did look as if she had twins.  Today I saw that she was starting to string mucus and her tail head ligaments were totally soft.  I put her in a kidding pen and kept an eye on her. 

At evening milking time Sera wanted to come in for her lead feeding, so I let her out of the pen and she came into the milking parlor and ate with gusto.  After milking the herd, I put Sera back into the kidding pen.  David made dinner and we ate in the office where we could keep an eye on the camera monitor to watch Sera. 

About halfway through dinner Sera started into hard labor.  We continued eating, figuring that it would take awhile for her to push out a kid.  But without much ado, she quickly pushed out a head.  David and I grabbed some nitrile gloves and hurried out to the pen. 

It looked to be a head-only delivery, so I reached in to check for legs.  The kid was tiny, so even though I didn’t find any legs handy, I knew the kid would come out without a problem.  Sure enough, Sera gave another push and out came the 3.7# buckling.  This fella is the third smallest kid ever born at BMR (the other small ones (also bucklings) were 2.7# and 3.4#).

Quite quickly Sera had some more contractions and another fella easily slid out in nose and toes position.  This guy weighed in at 5.4#.  David got him dried off and tucked with his brother into a laundry basket.  I expected Sera to be done since the ultrasound had only showed twins, but since the kids were so small, I bounced Sera’s belly to be sure.  I felt a lump in there – another kid waiting to be born.

While we waited, Sera licked on her babies and I milked her.  She made a lot of colostrum and milked out quite nicely for a first-time mom.  Then she laid down and again, easily, pushed out a third kid in classic forward position.  This time it was a 5.4# doeling. Little Sera had triplets! That was a surprise. 

All the kids are doing well, Sera looks great, and David and I eventually got back to our cold dinner.

Getting Out Of Trubel


4/20/18 Trubel (pronounced "trouble") spent the night in the kidding pen since she was squirming so much yesterday.  But this morning she didn’t seem serious about kidding, so I let her out to join her buddies.  In the afternoon she again seemed quite fussy so, once again, I put her in the kidding pen. 

Around 5 PM she started to string mucus and have a few preliminary pushing sessions.  We hoped that she would kid quickly since 6PM is when we milk the herd.  But not only didn’t she kid by then, the herd didn’t move into the holding pen for milking since it was actually raining – a fairly rare occurrence here in high, dry Arizona.  Finally, around 6:30 the rain stopped and the does came in for milking.  I have a camera in the kidding pen and was able to watch what Trubel was doing on the monitor in the milking parlor.

When we were about halfway through milking, I saw a long leg sticking out of Trubel.  She looked pretty silly walking around her pen with that leg sticking so far out.  We milked as fast as we could, and worked quickly to get all the clean up work done afterwards.  Then David and I headed out to catch some kids.

I cleaned up and checked inside the birth canal, found the other leg, felt that there was a nose also aligned in the canal, then gave a little tug and out came a spectacular 5.8# buckling.  David cleaned him up, then held Trubel still while I checked back inside.  I felt another set of nose and toes!  Out came a darling 5.1# doeling.  She is feisty and strong but has contracted tendons that will take awhile to stretch out.  I expect that she will be just fine.  Both kids are outrageously active already.  Trubel, daughter of one of the best milkers in the country (Top Ten Breed Leader, Reese) is looking great and is already making lots of milk.

The poor girl's front legs had severely contracted tendons.
We had to splint her front legs for 3 weeks before they fully straightened out.
After 3 weeks of splints, this girl is looking great!



4/18/18 When Opa! came in for lead feeding this morning she didn’t seem close to kidding.  She jumped up onto her milk stand, ate with gusto, begged for more apple treats, then went out to join her friends.  I crossed off “watch Opa!” from my mental list of things to do.  But in the afternoon I did check on her.  I found her laying close to the other goats, her kids had not dropped, she had no vaginal discharge, she didn’t look like she was going to kid soon.  But her attitude said otherwise.  So, I went ahead and put her in a kidding pen just for my peace of mind.

Around 4 PM I grabbed a camp chair and sat out with Opa! – more as a break for me than that she needed watching.  Surprisingly, as I was chiding her for acting like she was going to kid when her kids hadn’t even dropped yet, she turned her rump towards me and I saw the big "afterbirth bubble" hanging out.  I’m not sure what the red balloon filled with thin fluid is really called, but it is very different than the thick, egg white-like fluid that usually comes before the kid is born.  When one of these bubbles show up before a kid is born I always expect trouble.  But soon after Opa!'s bubble showed up, the thick normal fluid gushed out, so I just let Opa! continue to work.

Soon Opa! laid down and started pushing hard.  A nose appeared.  Then another gush of thick amniotic fluid followed by thin brown fluid.  I decided to investigate since I was worried that 2 kids might be trying to be born at the same time. 

Opa! continued laying down while I slowly worked my gloved hand into her birth canal.  I moved past the head that was trying to come out as I looked for a front leg.  What I found was teeth.  Not good.  A second kid was in the birth canal next to the first one.  I found a front leg that belonged to the first head and rotated it so that it was alongside its head.  Then I helped gently pull the 7.9# buckling out.   

As David worked to clean the fella up, I reached back inside and found that second head plus one leg.  Out came a 7.5# buckling.  Both boys were feisty and eager to start life.  Opa! enjoyed licking on them and drinking her molasses water treat. I bounced her belly and didn't feel anyone else in there. Opa! looks great and we are excited to have her join our milking team.

This is not Opa!
A dramatic presentation of "afterbirth bubbles".

Dawn's Early Light

Red Dawn/Gideon

4/17/18 Yesterday afternoon I moved Red Dawn into the kidding pen since her milk was in and she had separated herself from the herd.  She checked out the food, dug in the straw, then laid down.  I kept a close eye on her, expecting her to kid by evening.  But she didn’t.

Since David is in Las Vegas for a few days doing a Fancy Food show, I didn’t have any help with milking or with birthing babies.  I just hoped I wouldn’t need to do both things at the same time.  I hurried through evening milking just in case Red Dawn should decide to kid then.  But she didn’t.

Throughout the evening and into the night Red Dawn would squirm, fuss, paw at the straw, and have a few mild contractions.  I went to bed but set an alarm to wake me every hour so that I could check on her.  Around 2AM I saw on the video monitor that she was starting to string goo.  I went out to check on her.  She continued to stall the inevitable, so I went back to bed. 

At 4:30 AM I gave her a dose of MFO Solution which is a calcium/phosphorus supplement to help her have strong contraction.  At 5:30 AM I gave up trying to get any sleep and went out to do chores, set up for milking, and feed the kids a little early.  Once all that was done, Red Dawn decided that she needed some attention.  She had a few contractions, bellowed a bit, and wanted a lot of lovin’.  I was concerned since she was procrastinating so much, so I clipped her collar to the fence, cleaned up her backside, gloved up, lubed up, and checked to see if her kids were in good birthing position.  I felt a nose and 2 toes in the birth canal.  I gave a bit of traction and out came a 5.9# black buckling.

He was pretty impossible to dry off and kept sliding off the empty feed sack that I had placed him on.  I really don’t know how David (and Amanda and Joan, my helpers at kidding time) do it.  There was no good way to get him dry and out of the straw, so I wrapped him in a towel and put him in the laundry basket that I was using as a kid carrier.

Red Dawn got bored with watching what I was doing so she laid down.  Quite quickly a birthing bubble complete with head and feet showed up.  It was a 5.5# brown doeling.  She, too, resisted all my attempts at getting dry.  I put the wet girl in the basket next to her wet brother, got a bucket of molasses water for Red Dawn, and milked her out.  She has a lovely udder for a first freshener and she milked out beautifully.  The kids look great, chugged their colostrum, and were bouncing around in no time.  They even, finally, dried off.

Corian Becomes A Milker


4/13/18 It’s Friday the 13th but our good luck is holding.  At one o’clock this afternoon Corian delivered a beautiful 5.7# doeling in record time.  The doeling came in proper forward position. 

Corian, a first-time mom, wasn’t sure what was happening and did panic a bit as the widest part of the kid’s head passed through the vulva.  She also seemed a little shocky afterwards, but she rallied quickly when offered a couple of apple cookies. Her daughter is lively and very splashy.


On Track With "Off Track Betty"


4/12/18 It’s been a nice little break from kidding.  Most of the kids have gone to their new homes and the kids we are keeping are doing great.

This morning I saw that first freshener OTB’s (Off Track Betty’s) new udder was filling and that her kids had dropped.  In the afternoon I saw her off by herself and starting to string mucus.  I moved her into the kidding pen, grabbed a camp chair and sudoku puzzle, and hung out with her.  Even though the sun was shining and the temperature mild, the wind was howling and whipping, peaking at 87 MPH, ripping our greenhouse apart, and making it really unpleasant to be out.  Thankfully, the kidding pen was shielded from the main wind force, and OTB moved into hard labor very quickly.

David came out with sanitizing wash water, we both gloved up and OTB worked to push out a head-first kid with its legs folded back.  Once the head was out I reached into the birth canal and pulled a shoulder forward to help streamline the delivery.  Out came a 5.6# doeling, rearing to go.

David and OTB worked to clean the newborn up, then the first-time momma started back into hard labor.  She laid down with her butt pretty much up against the fencing.  But once the nose and two toes presented, OTB moved just enough so that the 5.8# doeling slid out without getting caught in the fencing.

Then we waited.  OTB would push a little, then rest, then push.  Finally, a kid bubble came out but no kid parts could be seen in it.  I decided to investigate.  David got OTB to stand up, I cleaned up her backside, cleaned me up and put on fresh nitrile gloves, lubed up and went exploring.  I reached into the uterus and found two hocks working towards the birth canal.  I found the back hooves and moved them into the canal, then straightened out the stifle joints.  Out came a 6.7# buckling.

While David cleaned the new fella up, I checked back inside of OTB to be sure that she was done.  I didn’t feel anymore kids inside her.  Triplets is more than plenty for a yearling to lug around!  OTB milked out beautifully from a very lovely udder.  We are excited to welcome her to our milking string.

First born doe.
Second born doe.
Lovely buckling.

Detroit Takes Her Time


3/26/18 I put Detroit in the kidding pen last night, more for my convenience than that I thought she would actually kid.  That way I could watch her on the camera monitor instead of getting up several times during the night to check on her.  This morning I was going to let her out of the pen, but she was pretty happy in there, so I let her stay.

In the afternoon she started squirming, pushing halfheartedly, and seeming to procrastinate.  I did a two finger check and felt a nose entering the birth canal, so I let Detroit continue working to push the kid out.  Finally, around 4 PM she went into hard labor.  She pushed out a bubble and soon a 6.3# golden brown buckling was born in correct forward position.

Detroit continued to stall and fuss, so I checked inside again and found another set of nose and toes entering the birth canal.  Soon another golden brown buckling emerged.  While Detroit and David worked to dry him off, I got a bucket of molasses water for her plus milked her out.

But Detroit wasn’t done yet and soon a 6.1# doeling in backwards position was born.  All are doing great.  That is the end of kidding for our senior does.  We get a break now for a few weeks before the junior does start kidding.

First born buckling
2nd born buckling
Extra cute girl!

Two Sets Of Twins For Celia


3/21/18 Celia is a beautiful doe, long and elegant.  So, even though she didn’t look very big towards the end of her pregnancy we still suspected twins.  A lot of kids can hide in a long doe. Today Celia showed about all the classic signs of being ready to kid. Her tail ligaments were undetectable, her milk in, the kids had dropped, she was baby talking, stringing nice clear goo, and looking for a solitary place to kid – not to mention that it was her due date.

I put Celia in a kidding pen and let her continue working to lose her load.  I hung out with her on and off during the day.  Just after 2PM she started into hard labor and the bubble that she pushed out broke.  I cleaned up her backside and did a quick 2 finger check inside and didn’t feel anyone there.  I decided to investigate further. She was SO incredibly open in the birth canal that my hand easily slid right into the uterus.  That’s where I felt the kid’s thigh, which is just not a good birthing position.  I felt around and located a hock, rotated the rear hoof into the birth canal and then repeated that on the other leg.  Out came a brown 6.4# doeling with white accents. 

Once the doeling was cleaned off Celia pushed out another brown doeling in nose and toes position.  This one was 6.8#.  That was great!  Twin doelings, just like I had wanted. 

I got Celia her molasses water and when she was done chugging that I decided to bounce her belly to be sure that she was done.  That’s when I saw the hoof sticking out from her vulva.  It was upside down, so I knew the kid was another backwards baby.  I checked inside for the second back leg but found another hock instead.  Once I rotated the hock and found the attached rear hoof and moved it into the birth canal, out came a stunning black 7.5# buckling.  Wow, triplets – I really didn’t expect that! 

I checked back inside of Celia anyway.  I actually gasp when I felt a fourth kid.  This one, too, was coming in backwards position – trying for a full butt breach.  I rotated the legs to get the back hooves coming through first and out came a 6.7# black doeling.

Where was Celia hiding all these kids - a set of brown kids, and a set of black kids?  If I hadn’t been right there for her kidding, I’d have been looking for a second, newly kidded doe.  Celia looks fabulous and the kids are active and gorgeous. 

First born girl
Second girl
The beautiful buckling
Another doeling born last

Fast Finale


3/14/18 Last year Finale took a long time to finally get down to the business of kidding.  So, this year I expected the same.  However, I did move her into a kidding pen this afternoon just for my convenience.  That way I could keep an eye on her from the monitor in my office.  She had been squirmy and she wasn't hanging with her buddies, but those were the only signs that she might be kidding soon.

About an hour later, I checked the monitor and saw her water break.  Within half an hour her monster big bucks were born and very soon after that she had cleaned and was back in general population.  Less than 3 hours spent in the kidding pen.  Now THAT is fast!

The first-born fella came nose first, with one leg alongside.  He weighed 9.0#.  Soon his bigger brother came in totally proper forward position.  He was 9.4#.  They don’t make the list for biggest kids ever born here since we have had a few 11 pounders, but they are still impressively large, hungry, active, and beautiful.  Finale did a great job!

First born - a 9# buck
Second born - a 9.4# buck

A Big Load For Betty


3/13/18 Five weeks ago I emailed a friend that I thought Betty would be losing her babies prematurely due to her stringing mucus already.  But I was wrong.  Betty held her pregnancy right up until her due date.  Why was she passing mucus so early?  Well, my guess is because she was so overly filled with it!  Her triplets were the wettest kids ever.  The last-born kid came in a bubble of over half of a gallon of the lovely, slick goo - and the other two weren’t much dryer.

Betty has been kicking at her belly for a few days now, plus walking like she had a stick up her butt (Sorry, but that is such a good description of the walk).  She spent last night in the kidding pen, standing the whole night.  This morning at 6AM she seemed anxious and started panting.  I got ready to check inside of her to see if there was a problem, but that’s when she finally laid down.

David and I got to work feeding animals, milking the goats, packaging and shipping cheese, plus checking on Betty on the Pan/Tilt/Zoom camera monitor.  It was a very busy morning.  At 10 AM I pulled up a camp chair to hang with Betty.  She was standing up again, was fidgety, and still kicking at her belly.  I decided to investigate.

David come out to hold Betty still, I cleaned Betty’s vulva area, gloved up, lubed up, and slowly inserted a few fingers.  Betty was pretty tight but loosened up as I carefully inserted my hand into her birth canal.  There was a head there, with the two front legs further back.  I pulled the legs forward and soon a 7.0# strawberry blonde doeling was born.  She stood up before David even had her dried off. 

Once the girl was in the Kid Carrier, I checked back inside of Betty.  I felt back legs, plus a head.  That’s a good clue that there are at least 2 more babies inside!  I pulled the head, and two front legs came along.  Soon a 7.5# red buckling was born.

David worked to dry him off – an almost impossible task due to the incredible amount of birthing goo. He almost succeeded before Betty started pushing.  Since I had felt back legs earlier, I wanted to be sure the third kid came out fairly quickly.  I didn’t want the umbilical cord to be compressed by the shoulders as they pass through Betty's pelvis.  I found those back legs in the birth canal already, so I just gave some traction and the backwards 8.4# buckling started sliding out.  I pulled some, then I pulled more.  As the kid’s butt was touching the ground, I changed my grip and pulled even more.  Finally out came an incredibly long, 8.4# buckling. 

Betty is still kicking at her belly, even though I did check inside to be sure that she was done.  I suspect those kids were pressing on a nerve.    I’m sure Betty will improve now that the triplets (and gallons of goo) are out of her.  The kids are doing great.

The Doeling
Second born - a buck
Third born - another buck
More water balloons!

Magic Moment


3/5/18 This evening first time momma, Magic, did a great job of pushing out her 6.2# daughter in perfect forward position, followed quickly by her 5.1# son in back legs first position.  She was fast, efficient, and a bit confused about what had just happened.

It's a Girl!
It's a boy!

Confusing Carmella


3/5/18 I induced Carmella (Carly) a few days ago and expected her to kid yesterday.  But she held onto her load for an extra day.  I’ve been quite worried about Carly since I did an ultrasound on her 4 months ago that I thought showed quads.  However, Carly did not get very big as her pregnancy progressed.  I worried that possibly her kids had died and that it would be a terrible kidding like Reese had recently.

When Carly did finally start into hard labor I did a quick 2 finger check inside.  I felt two front legs, and, wow, they sure felt like big legs.  Carly worked to push out her 7.9# doeling while I helped a bit giving some traction.  Once born, the girl proved to be strong and healthy.  What a relief. 

I did check inside of Carly to find out where those “other kids” were, but I didn’t feel anyone else home.  It wasn’t until later that Amanda saw Carly passing small bones from at least two other kids.  These kids had died long ago and mostly been absorbed already.

She's staying!
Small kid bones passed in Carly's afterbirth

Double Batch of Cookie Doe


3/5/18 As soon as Onyx (see below) had her kids born and they were being cleaned off by our wonderful Kidding Crew, I checked back inside the barn to see what the other Close Up girls were doing.  I found Cookie quite busy as she cleaned up her newborn 6.5# daughter. 

I picked up the kid and lead Cookie into a kidding pen.  She continued to love on her baby, but then started back into labor.  Soon she had another daughter born, this one 6.6#. All are doing great.

Nice doeling
Sleek girl

Early Morning Onyx


3/5/18 I checked on all the Close Up girls at 4:30 this morning and everyone was sleeping soundly.  When I checked them again at 6:30 AM I found Onyx standing in the barn with a huge “kid bubble” hanging out of her vulva.  I could see a very dark kid head inside floating around in the fluid.

I moved her into a kidding pen, broke the bubble, found a leg to pull straight, and out came an overly spotted 5.8# doeling.  Soon Onyx pushed out a second doeling in good forward position.  This one weighed 4.9#.  Making his debut backwards, the 5.5# buckling come out rear legs first.

That was a pretty fast way to wake up!

Over the top girl spots
Spotted girl
Splashy boy

Abby Ends A Very Long Day


3/4/18 It had been an amazingly long day of working with the 5 does that had kidded so far today plus all the kids.  The Kidding Crew were all exhausted.  But Abby still needed to lose her load. She was squirmy and fidgety so I checked inside of her to make sure there wasn’t a problem.  All was fine and soon a 7.8# doeling was born.  Next came…a duck.  It was like Obsidian’s duck only bigger.  This kid had died early on in the pregnancy.  Then Abby pushed out another doeling.  This one 7.4#.  Both girls are doing great and Abby will be a great contributor in the milking parlor again this year.

Splashy doe
Love this girl!

Piper Make Short Work Of It


3/4/18 With so many girls kidding so close together we were running out of pens.  Poor Piper got stuck in a small corner of a pen being used for kids.  But she was fine with that.  She dug a few craters and flung straw everywhere.  Finally, she got down to business and pushed out a backwards 5.8# buckling.  The fella had a hard time breathing and Amanda worked hard to clear his airway.  He still seemed to struggle.

Soon Piper pushed out a 6.8# brown doeling followed by a 5.0# black doeling.  They rallied just fine.  But the poor first born buckling never did despite all the work and care that Amanda and David gave him.  Sadly, he passed away a few hours after being born.  Sometimes it’s just not meant to be…

For Sale
Love this girl!
Another nice doe

Ashlee Gives Us A Scare


3/4/18 Ashlee had been in the first stage of labor for longer than I liked.  So even though she wasn’t in hard labor yet, I checked inside.  I felt a backbone.  I rotated the kid to align it properly in the birth canal and out came a 5.5# doeling.  Soon Ashlee pushed out an 8.2# white buckling.  After waiting awhile with no more kids coming, I checked inside.  I felt a backbone.  This is getting to be a habit with the does this year!

Once again I manipulated the kid so that it would come out more ergonomically and out came a 7.0# buckling.

We don’t know if Ashlee ended up with a small uterine tear, but she passed a lot of blood and got very lethargic.  I gave her some oxytocin to contract the uterus and, hopefully, stem any blood flow, plus gave her some MFO Solution for calcium in case she had hypocalcemia (milk fever) from so much work pushing.  I also gave her some Banamine for pain.  It was scary, and I expected her to be dead by morning.  But when I checked her in the middle of the night she looked perky and fine.  The next morning she was so enthusiastic coming in for milking that she just about pushed me over.  Whew!  We are SO glad that Ashlee is doing great.

Ashlee's doeling
White buck
Splashy buck

Charlotte's Turn


3/4/18 Around 4 PM today Charlotte started into hard labor.  She’d been fussing around for a few hours but finally was getting serious.  Soon both of her babies were born in classic nose and toes position. The first born was a whopping 9.1# buck, the second a more reasonable 6.1# doeling.

Charlotte's spotted buckling
Charlotte's doeling

Sunny Skies


3/4/18 Just after feeding the kids their lunch, Sky started into hard labor.  I did a two finger check and felt a backbone.  I reached fully into the womb, found a hock, rotated it to find the rear hoof, and pulled that into the birth canal.  That’s when Sky gave a mighty push and out came the 6.3# buckling with one back leg folded up underneath his belly.  No harm done, just an ugly way to come into the world.

Next came a 6.8# buckling in nose and toes position, then a 6.7# doeling also in proper forward position.  I double checked to be sure no one else was home.  Sky looks great and should be a powerhouse in the milking parlor again this year.

First born buck
Second born buck
Finally! A girl!

Rocky Reese


3/4/18 We were hoping that Reese would kid last evening, but it wasn’t until 2 AM that she started into hard labor.  She pushed out a head and I was able to find a front leg to pull forward.  Out came an 8.9# buckling.  I check inside of her and found two back legs.  I pulled out a dead doeling.

Next came another backwards kid.  This was another buck weighing 6.9#. I checked back inside and didn't feel any more kids. But as I found out later I was wrong. 

3/6/18 Update:  Over the course of the two days after kidding, Reese just didn’t look comfortable and then started into labor.  I decided to check inside again.  I felt a leg.  This was SO not good.  I couldn’t reach my veterinarian so Reese, David, Amanda, Joan, and I worked for over an hour to get that dead kid out. David held Reese steady, Joan got us needed supplies, Amanda kept the OB lubricant coming, and I worked to manipulate the kid and get it pulled out. It was a horrible experience for everyone.  But finally, a long dead buckling came out. 

3/10/18 Update:  Reese is continuing to improve, she looks great, is eating a lot, her milk is coming up. We have very high hopes that she will recover.

What a good looking fella!
And another good looking fella

Melody's Quintet


3/3/18 Melody looked large, but not overly large.  We expected triplets from her.  She looked quite regal while laying in her kidding pen watching us work as Obsidian and Arietta kidded.  Occasionally she’d look pretty silly as she sat like a dog to take the pressure off her big belly.  Once we were done with the other does, Mel decided it was her turn.

The first kid, a 4.9# doeling, came in nose and toes position.  The second kid, a gorgeous red 5.5# buckling tried to come poll spot first, but I rearranged his head so that the nose came first.  After that, well, I have no idea what happened.  It was a kid explosion!  In the end, we were juggling FIVE very lively, healthy kids.  The third born was a tiny 3.4# buck, fourth born a lovely 6.3# doeling, and the fifth born was a 5.3# doeling that came rear legs first. 

None of us would have believed it if we hadn’t been there. This is our second set of quintuplets ever.   What an amazing doe Melody is.  What an amazing Kid Cleaning Crew we have when Amanda and Joan are here.  They certainly were indispensable!

It's a girl!
Beautiful buckling
Tiny boy
Spice girl!
And another girl

Arietta Performs


3/3/18 I was in a different kidding pen helping Obsidian (see below) with her newborn daughter when Arietta decided it was her turn.  She would push hard, then stop, then push hard again.  I checked inside and felt a backbone trying to be forced into the birth canal.  That just wasn’t going to happen.  I worked my hand along the kid’s body until I found a tail.  From there I worked along to a rear leg and pulled it into the birth canal.  I retraced my way back to the tail and down to the other back leg.  Once it was in the birth canal, I pulled out a 6.1# buckling.

As Amanda and Joan were working to clean him off, David continued to hold Arietta and I went in search of the next kid.  Out came a 6.6# doeling in forward position.  She got handed off to the Cleaning Crew and I went in search of more babies.  Soon a 7.1# buckling was born.

I got Arietta some warm molasses water then let Amanda and Joan finish buffing and drying the kids, while I went back to work with Obsidian.

Good lookin' fella
She's a keeper
Another good looking guy

Crystal Clear Obsidian


3/3/18 My Birthin' Buddies, Amanda and Joan, are here to help for a few days! It's always great to have them.

Since we had 12 does due to kid in one day, I decided to try and spread out the kiddings by inducing some to kid a few days early.  Dion (Obsidian) was one of them, but of the 4 that I expected to kid today she looked to be the least likely to go first.  However, as the afternoon wore on, she started passing some amazingly crystal clear, thick birthin’ slime.  She passed a lot of it.  After a few hours I decided to check inside so that the kids wouldn’t be totally dry when she started pushing.

The kid in the birth canal had one leg folded back but was otherwise doing fine.  Once this 6.4# doeling was born, Dion acted like she was done.  Since Arietta was starting into hard labor, I let Dion continue to lick on her daughter.  After Arietta finished her hardest work day of the year (see above), I checked inside of Dion.  I felt, well, I wasn’t sure what I felt.  It was wrong – a small, twisted knot of tissue.  I felt past this and found real kid parts.  Soon another doeling was born, this one weighed in at 5.9#.

Dion then pushed out…a duck.  OK, it wasn’t really a duck.  It was the decaying embryo of a long dead kid.  It had probably died in the first trimester of the pregnancy, at which time the head really does resemble more of a duck with a beak, then a goat. Dion's surviving daughters certainly outgrew that development stage and are gorgeous looking youngsters.

This girl is staying!
Cool ears on this girl

Liberty Belle Rings In A New Life

Liberty Belle/Ninja

3/2/18  Yesterday Liberty Belle’s milk was in and she was fussy.  I put her in the kidding pen in the afternoon so that I could keep an eye on her.  In the evening I saw her stringing some brown goo that didn't look quite right.  I would have checked inside of Liberty to see if there was a problem except that her rump was still fairly tight.

Just after 1 AM today she started into hard labor.  I did a pelvic exam on her.  She was still pretty tight in the birth canal, but I could feel a kid bubble just inside the cervix.  It seemed ready to move into the birth canal so I got out of there to let Liberty do the work of loosening up.

After half an hour I checked back inside.  I felt lots of legs plus a head.  The head was not aligned well, it was tilted down, and the top of the head was coming first.  I pulled the nose into the birth canal which helped, but the eye sockets seemed sunken so I expected the kid to be dead.  Then I checked for legs that belonged to the head.  It was a tangle of legs and I just couldn’t get enough space to reach in further to identify which went where, but one leg kept pulling away from me, so I knew that one of the kids was alive.  Finally I pulled the kid with both front legs back.  It was hard on Liberty, but she was a trooper.  The buck kid was dead as expected.

I went right back into Liberty and found nose and toes.  Out came the most amazing 8.4# doeling.  She is splashy, active, and was very hungry.  What a wonderfully vigorous young lady! Liberty loved licking on her.  The newborn girl is now hanging out with Snowflake’s kids and bouncing around like crazy. She is pictured here at 6 hours old.

Early Snowstorm


2/25/18 When I said in my "Getting Ready" introduction that we were excited to meet the new kids, I didn’t mean that we were excited enough for them to come 9 days early! But Snowflake's did. 

Yesterday we finished getting the kidding pens ready, plus got the “Close Up Collars” put on the does that are within 10 days of kidding.  Snowflake wore her Close Up collar a mere 24 hours before deciding that she was done being pregnant.  I didn’t blame her, she was huge and starting to have a hard time moving around.

Today she didn’t come in for morning lead feeding.  She was hiding in one of our auxiliary pens.  Her milk was in, she was “baby talking”, and she didn’t want to move.  I convinced her to go into one of the newly redecorated kidding pens.  She checked out the food but wasn’t interested.  Within a few minutes she started stringing birthing fluids from her vulva. 

I sat out with Snowflake for about an hour, then she started into hard labor.  She pushed out a kid bubble and soon a 7.6# buckling was born.  I had been worried since the kids were 9 days premature, but this fella sure looked full term.

Then we waited… and waited some more.  About an hour after the buckling was born I gave Snowflake a drench of MFO Solution which is an electrolyte to boost her calcium level to help her have strong contractions.  Half an hour later I decided to investigate since Snowflake was not pushing yet.  I washed her perineum region (vulva and surrounding area), gloved up, lubed up, and while David held her steady I slowly worked my hand into the birth canal.  No one was there.  I felt in past the cervix and found a tangle of legs plus a head.  I pulled the head and one leg forward, then found a second leg but as I started to extend it I realized that one leg was a front leg and the other a back leg.  There were two kids trying to come at the same time.  

From the feel of the head, I thought the kid was dead, so I pushed it back into the womb and worked to find the other back leg.  I couldn’t find it due to all the other body parts right there, so I pushed it back into the womb and found that head again plus a front leg.  I gave a gentle pull and out came a buck, dead as I suspected.

I quickly went back inside of Snowflake, found two back legs and pulled out a tiny, limp doeling.  I feared she was dead, but there was a spark of life. David is the best at getting babies to live, and he had his work cut out for him with this one. While David worked his magic with the little girl, I checked back inside Snowflake and felt a fourth kid.  It was way down deep, further down than I could easily reach.  I let Snowflake work to push the kid closer to the exit.

Once David had the 4.5# spotted girl breathing well and cuddled in a towel next to her first-born brother, I reached back into Snowflake for the fourth kid.  It was now starting into the birth canal.  Out came another 7.6# buck kid in nose and toes position – alive and well.

That is quite a dramatic start to our kidding season.  Hopefully the other kiddings will go easier.  But for now, Snowflake and her early "Snowstorm" of three surviving kids are doing great.

First born buckling
This girl is staying here
Another buckling

Getting Ready


2/24/18 Ready or not, it’s going to happen.  Our barn full of oversized, heavily pregnant does will soon become a barn full of beautiful, productive milkers, plus dozens of exuberant kids.  We are working hard to get ready for the onslaught.

My name is Kathryn and I'm the goat herd manager here at Black Mesa Ranch.  My husband, David, is the cheese maker.  Since this is a two-person operation we also wear many other hats.  In addition to working with the goats, I keep the website updated, care for the cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, and livestock guardian dogs, plus oversee the ranch business (which is just a more polite way of saying that I boss David around).  Besides working hard as the cheese maker, David is the ranch maintenance man, sales manager, product packaging expert, welder, gardener, computer wizard, road grader, feed hauler, and all ‘round good guy. He is also a trained gourmet chef and does all the cooking!!

We will have a few friends come to help out with the bulk of the kiddings, which this year will happen pretty much all at once.  In fact we plan to induce some does to kid a day or so earlier just to, hopefully, spread out the kiddings over several days instead of having 12 does kid on a single day. 

The does are looking great, humming a lot, and waddling around with amazingly large bellies.  They are a great bunch and work hard throughout the year making milk for David to turn into cheese. 

David and I are excited to meet the new kids.  I hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as those kids come into the world.

Kathryn Heininger
BMR Goat Herd Manager

"We'll" just sit here for awhile.
Reese pregnant with quads in 2017
Can you say "quads"?
Tyler in her younger days.
We love our Fan Club!
Thanks Cynthia.

Bucklings must be preordered!

  Click here to place a deposit or payment.  Be sure to discuss your selection with Kathryn first. 


Click here to email Kathryn or call her at (928) 536-7759 for more information on how to reserve the kids of your choice.  If you are not sure about which kids might work best for your herd Kathryn would be delighted to discuss this with you.


The above listed prices are for reserved kids.  Prices for kids purchased after they are born may be higher. Updates to our Goats for Sale page are posted regularly.


We try to limit reservations to two doelings and two bucklings from each breeding on Senior does, and one doeling from each breeding on Junior does.  If you are interested in getting a kid from a doe that is already "booked up" let us know and we can put you on a waiting list.


Occasionally a different buck will be used than is listed.  Reservations on these breedings can be honored, changed, or deposits refunded at the buyer's request.


For more information on how to use the above breeding chart click here

Goat Sales

Prices and Policies

We offer fine Nubian Kids and Goats for sale from time to time. All of our Nubians are purebred and can be sold registered.

Goat Sales Prices
  • Registered Does and Bucks $400 and up
  • Doe Kids and Buck Kids with Registration Application $300 and up
    (10% Discount on purchases of 5 or more kids from this category)
  • Unregistered Bucks $200 and up
  • Wethers $100 and up
Goat Sales Policies

We require a $100 deposit per reserved kid with the balance due within 7 days of the birth of the kid. If payment is not received within that time the buyer will forfeit their deposit money. Prices for reserved kids are for kids picked up by 3 weeks of age. After 3 weeks of age reserved kids will incur an additional $7.00 per day boarding charge. This is due to the cost of feeding the kids our pure fresh goat milk (instead of us being able to make cheese from the milk). While all reasonable care is taken to ensure the health and safety of the kids, Black Mesa Ranch will not be responsible for sickness or death of a reserved kid after it is three weeks old.

Deposits are refunded if your choice of kid is not born or if the kid is not up to our standards of quality. Deposits will not be refunded on cancelled orders. Refunds on deposits paid by credit card may incur a transaction fee. We will honor all reservations for kids to the best of our ability, however we do reserve the right to retain any kid as a replacement in our breeding program.

All goats are guaranteed free of CAE and CL. They are also all G6S Normal and carry the double high casein protein gene for better cheese making. All of our kids are sold disbudded. Any kids purchased as wethers will be castrated (banded) before leaving the property unless other arrangements are made and a refundable deposit given. There is a $20 fee for any replacement registration paperwork.

We prefer all kids and goats to be picked up at the ranch though other arrangements can be made.

Airport runs by BMR for shipping kids by air are $200 due to the 10 hour round trip from the ranch to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. Buyers wanting to fly their kids are also responsible for having an appropriate shipping crate delivered to the ranch at least one week prior to ship date, and for reserving the flight (Flight Schedule must be approved by BMR first). Buyer is responsible for the cost of the flight, the crate, the health certificate, and the airport run. Due to airline heat restrictions for flying, we may not be able to fly kids after May 1st (earlier if a heat wave comes in).

If you are interested in buying a goat, please contact us for availability (or to be put on our waiting list) by emailing Kathryn or calling (928) 536-7759.

Sale prices, terms and conditions subject to change prior to sale confirmation.